keskiviikko 30. marraskuuta 2016

Feeling like a guide book

So I didn't write two weeks after my last post. Sorry. Thought it would be boring just to write 'yeah I cried'. But yeah.. I cried. A lot. Too much. But I didn't mind. I like crying (yeah weird I know). It's just that the feeling after good cry makes you kinda... I don't now.. relaxed? And it feels like you can breathe again. And be ready to be happy again. Yeah.. Good cry is a must hah.
So my last day at the orphanage was 10th of November. The whole day was normal; just taking care of the kids like always. But of course the thought of having to say goodbye was there back of my head. All day reminding me that it's my last day, that I am going to cry, that I won't see those beautiful kids anymore, that I'll never now what will happen to them. I guess I could say it wasn't a good day.
And the time came. Time to hug them and say goodbye. Time to leave. I was sad but happy at the same time. Happy to be so sad because it meant I really connected with the kids. Happy to realize that I have feelings hah. But I knew that time had to come eventually and all I needed to do was to concentrate on my oncoming travels.

12th of November I started my travels. That day started with sad goodbye to my host family. As I drove away on a taxi, I saw them tearing up and that made me tear up too. They really were the best host family I could get and I will never forget them. Never.

So my first stop was at Tamarindo. The buss ride was supposed to last 5-5,5 hours but it  ended up being 8,5 hours long.. After one hour our buss broke and we had to wait for other buss and at one point there was so long road work going on so it made us slower. But at least it was direct buss from San Jose.

Tamarindo (also known as Tamagringo because there are so many tourists) is nice, small, beautiful place to go and surf. I stayed in a hostel called 'Blue Trailz'. The hostel was really good. Good location, cheap and the rooms had ACs. The hostel is also shop where you can buy and rent surfing (and other) stuff. And if you are guest at the hostel, you are able to rent stuff cheaper. I rented paddle board but the waves were so big that it was impossible to paddle. You can also take many different tours there but if you are on a budget there's really nothing else to do than surf and get your tan on. I took tour on a sailboat. It was relaxing about 6 hour tour which included 5 course meal, snorkeling and open bar. It was a bit pricey (80$) but the food was excellent and well you can drink as much as you want so you really get your moneys worth if you really get to it hah. I got to know amazing people and had fun; what else could I need from my travels.

Next stop was Nosara. To get there I had to take three different buses (Tamarindo-Santa Cruz-Nicoya-Nosara). If you plan on going the same route pleeeeeease don't take the shuttle buss. It really is not hard to go from Tamarindo to Nosara (or Samara). And it really takes only 4 hours. Yeah with shuttle buss you can get there about 2 hours earlier but do you really want to pay 50$ to get there earlier when you have to pay less than 8$ to go with buses.
In Nosara I stayed in '4 you hostal'. It is beautiful hostel and I really recommend you to go there. It's only about 500 meters away from Playa Guiones. The dorm was a bit weird because you don't get key to get there (so it's open all the time) but if you want, you can also book a private room.
Nosara is cute little town in middle of forest. If you don't want to to anything else than surf and yoga, it's perfect place for you. I stayed there only two nights but it was enough for me. All I did was sleep and swim. Nothing else but hey I'm on a holiday so I don't need to do anything.

My next stop was Samara. To go there I only had to take two buses. Fast and cheap. And I really fell in love with Samara. I stayed in 'Hostel Mariposas' and all I can say if you go to Samara, go to this hostel. It's just 100 meters away from the beach, everything is close by, the staff is super friendly and it's so cheap. There's many hammocks to relax on and you can also sleep on the hammock only 8$/night.
In Samara I took surf lessons from 'Pato Surf School'. It cost me 45$ but with that I got 2 hour surf lesson and free use of surf boards for the next 5 days. I wish I stayed there for 5 days but 3 was also (almost) enough. Thursday night in Samara is salsa night so I went out with bunch of people from my hostel and danced danced danced! I had so much fun in Samara and met so many amazing people. I think I spent most of my time on those hammocks they have but I loved it. Also I haven't had so much fun just playing UNO for such a long time. Perfect place.

After Samara I went to Santa Teresa(/Mal Pais). I was there only two nights and I wish I would have stayed there couple days longer. There I stayed in hostel 'Casa Zen'. It's beautiful hostel just minute away from the beach. At Casa Zen you can take yoga classes that are quite cheap. I'm not yoga person so I didn't take any lessons. Santa Teresa (like other towns I've been so far) is a surf town. It's small but long town. Whether you are on Santa Teresa or Mal Pais, you can just walk from town to town.
In Mal Pais I went to infinity pool! It was so beautiful and amazing place to go, relax and watch the sunset. I can't remember what the place was called but I am sure if you are in Santa Teresa, everyone knows where the infinity pool is. Just ask your hostel or random person from the street.
The Santa Teresa beach is so long that even though there are a lot of people, you are able to find quiet and empty place just for you is you want it. Good place to surf, get your tan on and meet amazing people.

From Santa Teresa I went to Montezuma. I took a shuttle buss because it cost me only 10$ but it is also easy to take buses to Montezuma (you have to take 2 buses but it's super cheap).
There I stayed in 'Downtown Montezuma Hostel'. So cheap and in such a good location (And pancakes for breakfast!). I didn't do that much in Montezuma even though you can take many different tours (like in other towns). I went to see the Montezuma Waterfalls, walked to Playa Grande which is about 7 km from the town (though it wasn't so pretty because the hurricane had filled it with logs and trash) and I was so lucky to be there on time to see turtles hatching! So cute little sea turtles running to the ocean! I wish I had the money to rent ATV and just drive around but when you have to make decisions such as 'should I buy food or just randomly drive around' I will pick the food option hah. The most popular tour in Montezuma is a boat  trip to Isla Tortuga. On high season it's crowded and might feel a bit too touristic but I heard that is good tour to take if you have time and money.
There I met guys who had to take back their rental car to Mal Pais so before they took their car back I went with them to hike to Cabo Blanco. We didn't really see anything but it was still beautiful (like all places in Costa Rica are hah).

After Montezuma I headed to Dominical. I took a speed boat to Jaco and from Jaco two different buses to get to Dominical. I only went to Dominical because it was easy place to get from to my next destination and I haven't yet been in Dominical. I was unlucky with the weather there because it just kept raining everyday all day long. But luckily my hostel had TV so I just spent my days watching movies haha. But about my hostel... I stayed in 'Cool Vibes' hostel. It's beautiful hostel with huge common room and kitchen. But the room. Well not even the rooms... The rooms are nice and big and bathrooms are also clean and big. But the big disgusting problem was with the beds. The pillows were moldy and I think the mattresses were too because I used my scarf as a pillow (sure didn't want to use that disgusting moldy pillow) and now my scarf is full of mold. I mean... one of the reasons you book a hostel is just to have bed to sleep in. I really don't care if the common room is big or if the kitchen is perfect. But the bed. It doesn't have to be perfect bed. Just bed. Just bed with no mold at all. Is that really too much to ask for? I don't know if all rooms have the same problems but if you are planning on staying there, make sure you first check if the room is okay. I didn't leave that hostel with cool vibes.

And now I am in San Gerardo de Rivas. I arrived here yesterday and it only took two buses and less than 4$. It really is amazing how cheap and easy it is to travel around Costa Rica. Not going to write anything about San Gerardo yet. Just saying that my hostel is amazing! But about that later on my next blog post.

Yesterday evening I met this older woman from Australia and she asked what I think about Finland. Every time someone asks me should they travel to Finland or how is Finland, my answer is more like 'meh'. But this time I said 'home'. Finland is home. I couldn't explain Finland better for her but she got it. Home.
I think, no matter how much I travel, wherever I go, Finland will always be the place I return to. Sure I would love to stay in Costa Rica way longer but I know it never will be my home. No place is like home. No place is like Finland.

I have less than three weeks left to travel here and I will be sad to leave but at least I am coming home.


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti