maanantai 8. elokuuta 2016

When in doubt, just nod and smile

I don't really know when exactly I should write a new post; everyday, once a week, when I have done something special or just when I feel like it. So I decided just write when I feel like it, even though I have really nothing to say. It is quite easy to write a full page of something and really not say anything. As you can see I just wrote three sentences that have no meaning to this post whatsoever (now four).

Okay, fine let's talk about my trip..

So I arrived to Costa Rica last Saturday. The flight from Miami was over two hours late because of the rain. RAIN. I mean come on! It wasn't that bad. At least not to me. But well what do I know. I'm not expert on when planes can fly and when not.

Let me just say that if you ever plan on going to Costa Rica, arrange your transportation from the airport to wherever you are going beforehand because when you go outside of the airport it is crazy! There are so many taxi drivers just yelling "Taxi? Taxi? Taxi? Taxi?", over and over again. They just come to your face and you feel so overwhelmed by all the people and yelling that it is hard to find what you are looking for. It took me few minutes before I found the person who was picking me up and driving me to my host family. (Or sure you can just take a taxi)

So my driver took me to my host family. And they are super nice retired couple (Mary and Danilo). It's just that...well.. they only speak Spanish. Yeah they do know maybe couple words in English but that's it. So it really is just me nodding and smiling when they say something to me. Luckily I understand something. And when I say something I mean... well I think I know as much Spanish as they know English. I did take private Spanish lessons in Finland but well.. Let's just say I should have listened my teacher when he said I need to remember to study on my own.

On Sunday I went for a walk with my host family and during the walk the mom asked me what is my religion. I am catholic so I said that and the next thing I know I am attending a mass. I know church isn't the place that should make you laugh (and it didn't!) but it is a bit funny just to stand there and have no idea what they are talking or singing about (yeah yeah I am a horrible human being for almost laughing in the church).
I didn't really do anything for the rest of the day. Just watched Netflix and tried to stay awake (jetlag). Oh I must say that I do love the American netflix! So much more choices! But at the same time it takes twice as much time to pick up something to watch. And yes I know what you are thinking "You are in Costa Rica and you are spending your time on netflix?".. Please don't judge me, it was my first evening and I had (still have) jetlag. And I am boring and lazy. And netflix is life.

So today I had my first day of school (Spanish lessons) and I ended up in the group that knows the least Spanish (no surprise in there). Got myself local sim-card and I got to know new people. Mary took me to school and picked me up but from tomorrow onwards I need to know how to do it on my own. I do hope I won't get lost..

Hasta luego!

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti